- 1. Rihanna’s Good Looks
- 2. Rihanna, The Little, Young Entrepreneur
- 3. Turbulent Childhood
- 4. Rihanna Was Discovered At Age Fifteen, Signing A Six-Album Deal With Jay-Z
- 5. The Irish Farmer Who Asked Rihanna To Shoot Her Video Elsewhere
- 6. Rihanna’s Acting Debut in 2012: Lukewarm Response
- 7. Musical Ladies Influencing Rihanna: Madonna & Co.
- 8. Seven Rihanna’s At Madame Tussauds Wax Museums Around The World
- 9. Fourteen Tattoos & Counting
- 10. The Minimalistic Clothing Style Of Rihanna
- 11. The Violent Exchange Incident With Chris Brown in 2009
- 12. Times Are Changing: Good Friends Again With Chris Brown
- 13. Rihanna Is A Huge Fan Of Singer Bob Marley
- 14. Rihanna & Singer Katy Perry
- 15. Elected As The Maid of Honor For Kate Perry’s Wedding, But …
- 16. Billions Of Views On YouTube For Rihanna’s Hits
- 17. Selling Millions Of Records And Hit Singles Worldwide
- 18.’Umbrella’, A Number One Hit For 10 Weeks In The UK
- 19. Rihanna Is #20 In Time Magazine’s 2012 List Of ‘The Hundred Most Influential People in the World’
- 20. Rihanna #1 In The Forbes List Of ‘Social Networking Superstars’
1. Rihanna’s Good Looks
Superstar Rihanna was born Robyn Rihanna Fenty on February 20, 1988 in Saint Michael, Barbados. Known for her good looks, Rihanna’s ancestry attributes to her flawless beauty. Her mother, Monica Braithwaite is of African-Guyanese decent. Her father is Ronald Fenty, an Irish Barbadian.
2. Rihanna, The Little, Young Entrepreneur
Rihanna grew up in a standard three-bedroom house helping her father sell clothes in a street market. To make a bit of extra money on the side she would buy candy, wrap it up in neat packaging and sell it to students in school for a profit.
3. Turbulent Childhood
Because of her father’s addiction to cocaine, alcohol and marijuana, Rihanna’s childhood was a turbulent time for her. This was heightened at the age of fourteen when her parents’ marriage eventually ended.
4. Rihanna Was Discovered At Age Fifteen, Signing A Six-Album Deal With Jay-Z
Rihanna was introduced by a friend to music producer, Evan Rogers in December 2003 at age fifteen. Visiting the islands on vacation, Rogers was not expecting to find the next new singer and was taken aback by Rihanna’s talent. He flew her to New York where she was signed with Def Jam Records for a six-album deal after her first audition with Jay-Z.
5. The Irish Farmer Who Asked Rihanna To Shoot Her Video Elsewhere
Rihanna’s video for “We Found Love” was shot on a farm in Ireland. During the filming of this set, the farmer on whose land they were filming ordered the crew to stop and leave after seeing what Rihanna was wearing. He found her dress to be too inappropriate for his land.
6. Rihanna’s Acting Debut in 2012: Lukewarm Response
Rihanna acting debut came in the feature film Battleship released in May 2012. Although the performance received mediocre to negative reviews, the role earned Choice Movie Breakout Artist at the Teen Choice Awards.
7. Musical Ladies Influencing Rihanna: Madonna & Co.
Rihanna grew up with a great love for music. Her biggest idol growing up was Madonna. In addition, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Alicia Keyes, Celine Dion and Beyonce Knowles have also played a great role in influencing her musical style.
8. Seven Rihanna’s At Madame Tussauds Wax Museums Around The World
Rihanna boasts a total of seven wax figurines at the famous Madame Tussauds Wax Museums around the world. To be a part of this history will ensure that Rihanna is seen as a genuine star of her time. These works of art are located in Berlin, Hollywood, Las Vegas, Washington D.C., London, Sydney, and Vienna.
9. Fourteen Tattoos & Counting
Rihanna loves tattoos, and has fourteen known tattoos on her body. She feels that tattoos are an entire culture of their own and speak for who a person is. Some of her tattoos include a music note on her ankle, a star on her left ear, a trail of stars going down her back neck and an Egyptian Falcon shaped in a gun on her right foot.
10. The Minimalistic Clothing Style Of Rihanna
Known for her fashion sense, Rihanna was asked about posing in minimal clothing. Her response stated, depending on the people she was around, she was comfortable in her underwear. When it came to no clothing however, she drew the line claiming her mother raised her with ‘certain standards’.
11. The Violent Exchange Incident With Chris Brown in 2009
In February 2009, Rihanna cancelled her performance at the 51st Annual Grammy Awards. It was later found out that this was due to a violent exchange with her then boyfriend, singer Chris Brown. Pictures were leaked to the press of a visibly beaten Rihanna and in June 2009 Brown plead guilty to felony assault. His sentence was five years’ probation and a restraining order of 50 feet.
12. Times Are Changing: Good Friends Again With Chris Brown
In the years to come, Rihanna would move forward from this violent episode and have positive things to say about Chris Brown. In 2012-2013, Rihanna has begun to rekindle her relationship with Chris Brown, supporting his music and his career.
13. Rihanna Is A Huge Fan Of Singer Bob Marley
Rihanna is a big fan of singer and songwriter Bob Marley who was also a Caribbean singing sensation. As one of her favorite artists, her home in Los Angeles has a small section dedicated as a shrine to this late icon.
14. Rihanna & Singer Katy Perry
Rihanna and Katy Perry are very close friends. About Katy Perry, Rihanna has said she is really fun and her sense of humor is what brought them together as friends. As of February 2013, there are rumors that their friendship is on the rocks because of the continuing relationship between Rihanna and Chris Brown.
15. Elected As The Maid of Honor For Kate Perry’s Wedding, But …
When it came time for Katy Perry’s wedding, Rihanna was chosen for the unique role of Maid of Honor. Because of scheduling conflicts requiring Rihanna to re-record some of her music, she was not able to attend her best friend’s wedding in India.
16. Billions Of Views On YouTube For Rihanna’s Hits
“Where Have You Been”, the Rihanna’s hit single in 2011, broke the VEVO record for the most views in a 24 hour period at 4.93 million. This success was overshadowed by Justin Beiber’s ‘Boyfriend’, which set the record up to 8 million views. Rihanna still holds the record for the first woman to pass 2 billion views on the video sharing website YouTube.
17. Selling Millions Of Records And Hit Singles Worldwide
Rihanna is one of the youngest artists to achieve a total of twelve number one hits on the Billboard Hot 100 charts. In 2012, she was recorded as having sold 25 million records around the globe, and 75 million singles in the first seven years since she started out.
18.’Umbrella’, A Number One Hit For 10 Weeks In The UK
“Good Girl Gone Bad”, Rihanna’s third studio album was top of the charts in countries around the world including Ireland, Japan, the UK, Brazil and Canada. It ranked second in both the United States and Australia. The biggest hit of the album was the lead single “Umbrella”, which shot straight to the top in thirteen countries and remained at the number one spot in the United Kingdom for ten straight weeks.
19. Rihanna Is #20 In Time Magazine’s 2012 List Of ‘The Hundred Most Influential People in the World’
April 2012 saw Rihanna as number 20 in Time magazine’s list of ‘The Hundred Most Influential People in the World, 2012’. This was followed by Forbes quoting her earnings between May 2011 and May 2012 as US$ 53 million, making her one the most powerful celebrities of the year.
20. Rihanna #1 In The Forbes List Of ‘Social Networking Superstars’
Rihanna has more than 62 million likes on her Facebook page (early 2013), making her one of the most ‘liked’ celebrities on Facebook. She has the fourth most popular following in the Twitter-verse with over 28 million followers, just ahead of U.S. President Barack Obama. She is also in the list of most often viewed female singers on YouTube. These honors put her at the top of the Forbes list of ‘Social Networking Superstars’.