Kate Middleton Facts
1) Kate Middleton, full name Catherine Elizabeth Middleton, was born on 9th January 1982 in Reading at the Royal Berkshire Hospital.
Her parents, Carole and Michael Middleton both worked as flight attendants before they founded a mail order company called Party Pieces that sells party supplies and decorations.
The private company became a huge success making and worth about €30 Million, it made the Middleton family multi-millionaires.
2) Kate was christened on 20th January 1982 in Berkshire at St. Andrews’s Bradfield.
She has a younger sister named Philippa or ‘Pippa’ and a younger brother named James Middleton.
Kate’s maternal ancestors were miners and laborers from County Durham and Sunderland while her paternal ancestors belonged to Leeds, West Yorkshire.
3) From 1984 to 1986, Kate Middleton accompanied her parents to Amman, Jordan where they were working for British Airways.
Kate was enrolled at an English language nursery school there and after coming back to UK; she was enrolled at St.
Andrew’s School in Berkshire.
4) In 2005, Kate Middleton graduated from University of St. Andrews in Scotland with an undergraduate in History of Arts.
In 2001 while currently a student of University of St. Andrews that Kate met Prince William.
In 2002, the couple started dating although they did not go public with their relationship.
Due to these reasons, Kate Middleton was surrounded by a lot of media attention as well as harassment at the hands of paparazzi at a number of royal events.
5) In 2005, Middleton complained about the media harassment, in 2007 Middleton’s lawyers threatened with legal action while in 2010, she pursued a claim of invasion of privacy against a photographer and two agencies.
6) In 2007, a number of media sources including BBC, The Sun and The Time revealed that Kate Middleton and Prince William had split up.
Many newspapers and magazines speculated about the reasons for the split-up stating that Middleton was expecting too much out of the relationship while Prince William was not giving her enough attention in the midst of enjoying a bachelor life in the army.
7) However, Middleton and Prince William claimed to remain good friends and Middleton even continued to attend a number of royal celebrations and events.
In October 2010, Kate Middleton and Prince William got back together in Kenya where they also were engaged and Prince William presented his mother’s engagement ring to her.
8) Kate Middle pursued a career after graduation starting as an accessory buyer with Jigsaw and working part-time as a webpage designer, a catalogue photographer and as marketing officer in 2006.
9) On 29th April 2011, Kate Middleton and Prince William got married in Westminster Abbey; the day was declared a public bank holiday and it is estimated that almost 300 million people all over the world watched the royal wedding live.
10) Ever since her public appearances, Kate has become a public icon known best for appearing in many famous ‘best dressed lists’.
In 2007 and 2010, People’s Magazine put her on top of the list of their Best Dressed people and in 2008, Style.com chose her as their monthly beauty icon.
Vanity Fair also included her in their list of 2008’s international best dressed list as well as the Annual Best Dressed lists of 2010, 2011 and 2012.
One of her famous fashion trademarks is mixing high street retail fashion brands with couture pieces by British designers.
She is often seen wearing Jenny Packham, Sarah Burton, Catherine Walker, Burberry, Zara and L.K. Bennett.
11) According to many sources, Kate Middleton is older to Prince William by about six months; while she was born on 9th January 1982, Prince William was born on 21st June 1982.
Consequently, she was reported to be the oldest royal bride at the time of the royal wedding.
12) It has also been revealed by ABC news that the Duchess of Cambridge is very particular about the kind of food she eats; she is especially fond of salads, beans, salmon and barbecues.
Even though, she has a royal chef at her disposal, but loves to cook for herself and Prince William.
Often, she is seen grocery shopping at Waitrose on Kensington High Street.
13) The Duchess has managed to complete her Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award.
14) She was also reported to be allergic to horses, which is unfortunate because the royal family possesses quite a handful of them.
However, other sources reveal it to be untrue and the rumor stemmed from the fact that she steered clear of the horse at the red carpet premiere of War Horse when she was actually trying to protect her gown.
15) Kate Middleton is also very fond of sailing, painting, walking, swimming and tennis.
When she was in college, she was part of the official hockey, netball and tennis teams.
She was also made the captain of the hockey team and used to play in the first pair at tennis.
16) Kate Middleton is the official ambassador for Paralympic GB and Team GB.
She also volunteers with the Scout Association and is a patron of Action on Addiction and the National Portrait Gallery.
17) The high street fashion that she is often photographed wearing are quickly sold out and Middleton has been credited for transforming the fortunes of her personal brands like Reiss and Zara.
In fact, it has been reported that the Shola bandage dress by Reiss was sold at the rate of one minutes after the Duchess was seen wearing it.
At a fashion show in 2002, Kate wore a see through dress that reportedly sparked Prince William’s interest in her; this dress was auctioned for €78,000 in 2011.
18) Kate also followed the tradition of wearing something blue at her wedding, it was a blue ribbon stitched to the inside of the dress.
19) While on a break from studies, she crewed on Round the World Challenge boats in the Solent.
20) She also spent some time studying at the British Institute in Florence in her gap year.