Leonardo Dicaprio Facts
1) Leonardo Wilhelm Dicaprio is a well-known actor and producer.
He has received various nominations, both Golden Globe Awards and the Academy Awards.
He was nominated for a Golden Globe Awards nine times, and in 2004, he won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor for his sensational performance in The Aviator.
2) The famous actor was born in Los Angeles, California on November 11, 1974 to a German mother and an American father with Italian and German roots.
He was the only child of the couple, and when he was a year old, his parents divorced.
3) Dicaprio’s namesake must have had an influence on the success of his career.
He was named after the famous painter, Leonardo DA Vinci, because his pregnant mother was admiring his paintings when she first felt Dicaprio move.
4) Dicaprio spent most of his time with his mother, moving with her from neighborhood to neighborhood, wherever they could afford housing.
His mother worked several jobs and made barely enough money to support her and her son.
5) He began his television career at the age of five, and starred in the children’s series, Romper Room.
At the age of 16, he began to act in a television series, which was based on the movie Parenthood.
After his success as a child actor, he played minor roles in various other television shows.
6) Dicaprio began acting in movies in 1991.
After acting in a movie that never made it to the screen, he again began a role in a television series.
In 1992, his real breakthrough in films occurred, and was cast by Robert De Niro for the movie This Boy’s Life.
7) Dicaprio was committed to finding his place as a successful film actor.
In 1993, he starred in the acclaimed film, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape.
He was awarded the National Board of Review Award.
He also received Academy Award and Golden Globe Award nominations for his successful role in the movie.
8) In 1997, Dicaprio acted in one the most successful movies of all time, Titanic.
At the age of 23, he had become one of America’s biggest heartthrobs and began to gain even more recognition for his work and his boyish good looks.
9) Dicaprio today is very specific about the movies that he acts in.
He refuses to conform to any clichés and chooses movies which have meaning to him and that appeal to his beliefs and morals.
He has acted in a diverse range of films, playing characters that are serious and dramatic and are most often tortured by some event in their past.
10) He is a big fan of Martin Scorsese, and has been noted to act in many of his films.
His acting style has been described as emotionally charged and intense.
His roles are most often those of men who have or will suffer loss and tragedy.
11) Dicaprio’s friendships with other stars began when he was a child actor in 1990.
He befriended Toby Maguire on the set of the television series that was based on the movie Parenthood.
He is also good friends with actors Kevin Connolly and Lukas Haas.
His co-star of the movie Titanic, Kate Winslet, is also a close friend, and the two have co-starred in another film, called Revolutionary Road in 2008.
12) The recent movies that Dicaprio has worked in have reflected his success and his talent as an actor.
He has been nominated for Golden Globe Awards for many of the films he has worked in the past decade.
Many of the films he has worked in such as Shutter Island and Inception have been very successful blockbuster hits.
13) Dicaprio’s love life has been as random and spread out as his filming career.
He has had many on and off relationships with quite a few women, ranging from models to successful actresses.
He has most recently been rumored to be dating Victoria Secret’s model, Barbara Palvin.
14) Dicaprio has a very down to earth attitude about his famous celebrity status.
He is quoted to have stated that rather than being a self-absorbed movie star, you can use your talent and your fame to improve the problems of the world and humankind.
15) He is a very active member of the World Wildlife Fund, and has traveled all over the world to support and fund causes initiated by the organization.
In St. Petersburg Dicaprio donated US$ 1 million to the WWF for the protection of tigers.
16) He loves celebrating with style and meaning.
For his 37th birthday, he invited famous actors over for a birthday party.
Instead of receiving gifts, he asked guests to donate money to charity funds, which supported wildlife protection and disaster relief projects.
17) At a Hollywood party in 2005, a model by the name of Aretha Wilson hit him on the head with a broken bottle.
5 years later, the model was sentenced to 2 years in prison after she pleaded guilty to the charges.
18) Dicaprio does not only talk the talk, but also walks the walk.
He is an avid and active environmentalist.
He has made many lifestyle changes in his own life to reduce environmental waste and pollution.
He flies on regular flights instead of taking private jets.
He drives hybrid and environmentally friendly cars.
He has installed solar panels in his house and is a strong advocate of environmental change.
19) Dicaprio’s most loved and admired person is his mother.
He has made her a part of his career, and takes her as his date to many Hollywood events and movie premieres.
He has stated that he is very much like his mother, with a strong and fierce attitude.
20) He loves to travel.
He says that one of the things he loves of being an actor is that he gets to visit random and isolated locations for the filming of movies.
He says that a young age, he had once dreamed of being a travel agent solely for the purpose of travelling.