15 Fun Facts You Should Know About Michael Jackson
Known as the ‘King of Pop,’ Michael Jackson was popular both for his music and for a string of endless controversy.
From his music, looks, his children, to his philanthropy, Michael Jackson remains a much talked about star even after his death.
Here are some facts you probably did not know about the King of Pop.
1. Michael Jackson is the only musician to have sold more than 500 million copies of his records worldwide.
He was not just popular in the US; his music sold very well in other parts of the world.
2. Bad, Thriller and Dangerous are still some of the bestselling albums in the history of pop music.
Michael’s hugely popular album, Thriller is the biggest selling since artists started selling records.
3. Michael first showcased his popular moonwalk dance in 1983 at the 25th Motown Anniversary.
He first picked up the move from dancers he had seen outside a hotel where he was staying.
4. Michael had a strange choice of pets that included Bubbles a Chimp, Crusher the Python, Ben the Rat, Mr. Tibbs the ram, as well as a llama known as Louie.
They all stayed at his Neverland fantasy ranch in California.
5. Jackson is said to have owed a certain U.S. library more than $1 million in fines for books that were overdue, in 1984.
6. The youngest actress to win an Oscar, Tatum Beatrice O’Neal, was Michael’ Jackson’s first date.
7. Michael had a loud distinguishable laugh.
When he started to laugh, he would go on and on and on.
He was also quite ticklish.
8. It is said that Michael lost up to 10 pounds of water every time he took to perform.
That attests to how intense his performances were.
9. Before any performance, Michael would mix two drops of Ricola with hot water to ensure that his voice stayed clear.
10. Michael Jackson patented a type of shoe device that could cling to the stage, enabling the performer to lean over without tumbling.
11. Michael was so popular that in 1992, the residents of Gabon in West Africa awarded him a royal crown.
12. In 1997, Michael Jackson was voted the most famous person in the world.
In the mid 1980, his face was printed on a postage stamp after the locals of Virgin Islands voted him as their favorite celebrity.
13. Michael Jackson shared a birthday with John McCain, a U.S. presidential candidate in the 2008 elections.
14. The Jackson 5, the music band that comprised young Michael and his brothers, was so popular that they had their own cartoon show known as the Jackson 5.
The cartoon aired for three years from 1971 to 1973.
15. Michael sustained serious injuries during the filming of a Pepsi-Cola commercial in 1984.
It is thought that Jackson started to experiment with plastic surgery following this incident.
16. Michael’s mother raised him as a Jehovah’s Witness.
Michael was also painfully shy off stage—quite a contrast from the electric performer he was on stage.
17. Michael Jackson loved Mexican food.
Later, he fell in love with KFC chicken but he would usually remove the skin, as he believed this would make the chicken “organic.”
18. At one point Michael, was so broke from the child molestation lawsuits against him that he could not pay for the utility bills for his Neverland ranch.
His friend, Prince Salman Bin Hamad Bin Isa Al-Khalifa of Bahrain, helped him to settle the bill.
19. Over 1 billion people watched Michael Jackson’s Memorial through internet and television.
20. The documentary, This is It, documenting Michael’s backstage rehearsals for his comeback This Is it Concert was the most profitable documentary of all time after garnering global sales of $260.8 million.